What is Stove-Top Pizza?
RECIPE: Stove Top Pizza ( and grill )
Exactly as written, pizza made on a stove top, in a pan.
I remember times when we had no oven in the apartment and because of that we could not have pizza. But not so long ago I started making flat bread in a good heavy cast iron pan and I thought, " Why not pizza?".
So this is the system. Method and ingredients all mixed together... but in the right order!
1. Make the pizza dough and let it rise 40 minutes to an hour and get the yeast working.
3 cups of strong flour
1 packet / 1 tsp of fast acting dry yeast
1 cup of water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
Put the yeast in the water and let it sit a few minutes to activate it.
Add it to the rest of the ingredients and make into a dough ball.
Kneed it for 10 minutes ... then set aside to rise in a covered bowl.
2. Make the sauce
1 can / tin / 340 ml chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tsp of oregano
1 tbsp olive oil
Put it all in a pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Prepare toppings of choice.
Peppers, onions, mushrooms, courgette, black olives, chilli, sliced garlic ...
anything you like on pizza.
I do not pre-cook them, I slice them thinly and use them like that.
And why not a little vegan cheese. There are many now to choose from,
but not too much ... it only masks the taste of the veggies.
4. Turn the heat on under your pan and the grill to hot.
5. Pinch off a small ball of dough and roll it out to the size of your pan.
Once the pan is good and hot, toss in the flat dough.
Quickly spread a little sauce on it, then drop a few topping and cover it with a lid.
It will only take a few minutes for the dough to cook.
Check after a minute or two by lifting it to see if it is browning underneath.
6. Take it out carefully with a wide spatula or a pizza peel ( lifter ).
Place it under the grill for a minute.
Watch it carefully so it does not burn.
7. Once ready allow to cool a minute or two and eat with a carrot salad and green leaves.