Updated: Dec 17, 2020
Flying with the wind - This light flaky pastry is so light, it barely holds together. That is what makes it so good. Puff pastry shaped to become a receptacle for any flavoursome filling.
RECIPE - VOL AU VENT
Enough for six vol-au vent
Our favourite is bechamel cream filling. To the bechamel we add marinaded fried tofu or fried mushrooms and a handful of baby spinash.
6 large frozen Vol-au-Vent pastry cases - check ingredients to make sure they are vegan
2 cups Bechamel sauce
- 2 tbsp of vegan butter or magarine
- 2 tbsp of wheat flour
- 2 cups of soya, almond or oat milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast ( optional )
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
6 to 8 good size mushrooms - chopped and lightly fried, you do not want them to go brown
( You can use tofu if you like as well, here I will talk about mushrooms)
A handful of baby spinach.
- Bake the Vol-au-Vent as indicated on the package and allow to cool
- Make the Bechamel sauce - melt the butter on low heat, add the flour while stirring slowly add the milk. By stirring you will avoid any lumps. Once all the milk is mixed in the pot, increase the heat under the pot and allow it to thicken.
- Turn off the heat, and add the nutritional yeast, the nutmeg, salt and pepper, fried mushrooms and spinach. Mixed it altogether and set aside.
- With a small pairing knife gently cut out the centre round of the vol-au-vent case. just the top part, you do not want to go through.
- Filling each vol-au-vent with as much filling as they will take and put the round pastry cap back on top.
- Reheat it all for 15 minutes in the oven at 180 C / 360 F
You can serve it on its own, it needs nothing else especially as a starter.