The Vegan BBQ Shish Kabob
Updated: Jul 8, 2020
RECIPE - VEGGIE SHISH KABOB ...
Can a BBQ be all veggies and filling? Can you get that nicely brown, slightly charred taste ? Of course, and on the inside, fresh and bursting with flavour...and so healthy!
Shish kabob on a bed of basmati brown rice
Use a number of different vegetables, ones you prefer. In the picture above there are peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, courgette/zucchini and tofu. These were for my daughter.
In the ones at the bottom of the recipe page, ready for the grill, have added mushrooms and green chilli, those were mine!
And don't forget the sauce ... peanut, my favourite, or why not a little sweet chill.
Interested to find out more about tofu? click here
The Veggie Shish Kabob
Served on a bed of basmati brown rice
Enough for 4 ( 2 skewers each ) ... you will want three!
- One block of firm tofu, 300 - 400 g – cubed, bite-size.
- One Red Pepper – cubed
- One Courgette – thick rounds
- A few cherry tomatoes
- Ten mushrooms – sliced in two
- Half a Red Onion – chunks
- 1 cup of basmati brown rice
- 8 bamboo skewers – soaked
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp. natural peanut butter - only peanuts
- Tofu marinade:
4 tbsps. of tamari soya sauce
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
One good thumb size piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp. maple syrup or other sweetener
1. Make the marinade.
2. Cut the tofu into bite-size cubes and allow them to soak in the marinade for an hour or more if you have time, keep marinade for later.
3. Soak the bamboo skewers for 20min. so they will not burn in cooking.
4. Cook the rice. 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt and 20 to 25min. should do it. Set aside.
5. Fry the tofu until crisp on a few sides, then set aside.
6. Make the sauce - To the left-over marinade, make a sauce adding peanut butter, lime juice, chilli flakes and ½ cup of water, mix well together.
If the marinade is all soaked up by the tofu, add a 2 more tbsps of tamari soya sauce and a little more water.
7. Using the bamboo, skewer the veggies and tofu in turn … pepper / courgette / tofu / mushroom / onion / pepper … and so on until you have 8 ready. Using half the sauce brush each one.
8. On your BBQ grill the skewers, turning them from time to time until the veggies are just starting to char. ( Can also be made under the oven grill, I use it all the time )
9. Once ready, brush the veggies once more with the last of the sauce and serve on a bed of rice.
Shish Kabob, ready for the grill or the BBQ...
I am hungry now!
... for more tofu recipes go to Hungry Soul, my latest cookbook. Find it the SHOP on the www.HungrySoulPlantPower.com website.