Brussels Sprouts & Chestnut Ragout
Updated: Dec 17, 2020
RECIPE - BRUSSELS SPROUTS & CHESTNUT RAGOUT
It is a tradition in our parts of the world to have Bruxelles Sprouts for the Christmas meal. Not sure why, but I really like them, especially with chestnuts.
This is a ragout - French for stew. I guess the real difference is that ragout generally does not have too much liquid in it.
Enough for 8 to 10 as a side dish
1 kilo of Brussels sprouts - prepared ( more on that below )
4 medium carrots - cut into rounds
200g of precooked chestnuts
1 large onion - finely chopped
3 garlic cloves - sliced
1/2 cup of white wine
A little oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste
The key is ... DO NOT overcook the Brussels Sprouts!
- Trim the bottom of the sprouts and cut them in two
- Soften the onion and garlic, then add the carrots
- Allow them to cook covered for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the wine, the sprouts and the chestnuts.
- Allow to cook covered for a few minutes then take the cover off and turn up the heat for a minute or two, stirring every so often.
- Brussels sprouts cook rather quickly, you want them just cooked but still bright green.
- Season with a nice pinch of salt and a grind or two of black pepper.
Serve it hot.